I wanted to honor the start of this new season and decided that the best way was to list a few of the reasons I think fall is the most beautiful time of year. Perhaps some of my reasons will be yours, too.
1. The temperatures have cooled off (and we all sweat less) making the air smell cleaner and fresher.
2. Unless you have a "Ten" beach body, fall clothing covers more. I mean, who doesn't love pulling on a pair of cuddly woolen socks?
3. Farmer's Markets are filled with the colors of the season; orange pumpkins, bright red apples, and who doesn't love the scent of roasting corn wafting through the air?
4. Pumpkin-flavored everything is available once again. Although I do have to say "NO!" to pumpkin-flavored Spam.....
5. October will soon be upon us and that, of course, means Halloween...the one holiday when even adults get to wear funny or scary costumes and eat too much candy!
6. Bonfires are big in the fall, too. And who among us doesn't enjoy getting warm next to a roaring fire?
7. Fall leaves beneath our flippers (er, I mean feet) make a charming and nostalgic rustling sound when we hop (and walk) through the woods.
9. Fresh-squeezed cider and apple-picking....need I say more?
10. Autumn is the time when everything, including nature, slows down a bit. There's an air of thoughtfulness about what we do that is missing during the summer.
11. The days are shorter now and both humans and animals make the most of our daylight hours. The warmth of sunshine becomes a bit more precious.
12. There's something so peaceful and tranquil about staying in on cool fall evening and curling up with a good book and pot of cinnamon tea.
13. Hot chocolate is back in season!
14. If you change out your toothbrush quarterly, then today you get a fresh one. When it comes to dental care, nothing beats the feel of a brand new toothbrush.
15. Nature is resplendent in her fall finest. The colors are vibrant and cheery, making it one of the happiest of seasons. And finally,
16. Now that fall has arrived, it is the unofficial "official" start of the Holiday/Christmas season. (Maybe I'm pushing things too far here?) And, as we all know, the holiday season makes everyone just a little nicer. Who could be against that?!
Perhaps you have a few reasons that I neglected to list? We can all agree, however, that the autumnal season is a joy and cause for real celebration. How will you kick off this new season? Even though it's still fairly warm and summer-like here in Land of Lily Pad, I'm going to pull up a nice patch of shade, read a book, and enjoy a big glass of fresh apple cider.
Please join me back here again tomorrow for a couple of mind-blowing facts about infinity. Even if you're not a math geek (don't worry, neither am I) these fun facts will entertain you and make you think about infinity in perhaps a new way. Until then, I wish you a happy first day of fall!