The fun starts today with National Doughnut (or donut) Day. Who among us doesn't enjoy a good cup of coffee and a freshly made doughnut every now and again? And while I generally prefer a nice cup of soothing tea, I do plan on dropping by my local coffee shop and indulging in a cup or two of "Joe", along with a fly-dipped donut. Use #NationalDonutDay on your social media to post photos of your favorite doughnuts.
Then, on Sunday, we have #NationalChildrensDay. This is a day set aside for us to stop, tune out the tech and TV and tune into our children. Children's Day is celebrated in many countries around the world but in the USA, it's celebrated on the second Sunday in June. This day "honors the children in our lives and is a time to slow down our fast-paced lives, turn off the tech and refocus on the important things. Taking one day may not be enough, but using it as an opportunity to redirect our family’s lives may be an important step in a child’s life."
This brings me to Saturday and why I am very excited to celebrate #BestFriendsDay. My best friend lives in Hawaii and I don't get to visit with Mahalo as often as I'd like. But he's visiting me here in Land of Lily Pad for a few days and I just can't wait to pick him up at the Great Swamp Airport.
Best Friend's Day honors that one special person you call your “best friend”. This day is a time to show them how much you appreciate them, how special and important they are to you and how you cherish their friendship. Everyone has that one close friend, the one that you can count on to be there for you, the one you want to share your secrets with, the one you want to do fun things with, the one you want to just hang out with, that one person is your best friend. For me, Mahalo is that frog.
And just in case you need a refresher class on why having a best friend is important, here are some the many benefits we get from having a BFF!
1. A best friend makes you smile for any reason, or no reason at all. According to recent studies, having a close friend around can lift your mood very quickly.
2. A best friend makes you stress-free. Scientists showed that your true friend can reduce stress and make you feel better if you’re tense.
3. A best friend allows you to be yourself. When you’re close to your friend, you know you can be yourself. Your best friend knows everything about you – everything bad and everything good. And being authentically you is feels great!
4. A best friend gives you effective constructive criticism that is also kind. Who else will be totally honest with you if not your best friend? The person who knows you best. He/she knows your strengths and weaknesses and can find suitable words to tell it like it is.
5. A best friend helps you grow. Your true friend boosts your personal growth because you both share experiences. It can be very useful for you as when you’re stuck in a rut, it’s cool to hear what other people are doing.
6. A best friend is always there to listen to you any time of the day or night. When you’ve got a best friend, you’ve got a person who can always listen to you if you want to talk about something.
7. A best friend shows you the right direction. Having a real friend to share things with helps you learn new things about yourself. The things and thoughts your friend shares can not only open your eyes to new ideas but also can show you the right direction you have to move on.
8. A best friend gives you confidence. The person you consider your best friend recognizes the value you contribute to the world and helps you understand how great you are! In such a way, you become more confident… as well as more self-confident.
9. A best friend can actually reduce your risk of illness. Your best friend is the person who also has a positive effect on your health (mental and physical). Your close pal helps you fight your diseases and when you feel his/her support it’s easier for you to handle any illness.
10. A best friend extends a helping flipper (or hand) in every situation. A best friend is always ready to share not only your good times but also help you in tough times. Your real friend stands by your side no matter what.
I hope you take some time this weekend to acknowledge your BFF. If your best friend lives close by, plan on doing something special together over the next couple of days. If they live far apart, call them. Speaking by phone or video call is far better than sending an email or text. Let your forever friend know just how important they are to you!
That does it for me this week. I'm off for a cup of coffee and a doughnut. Then I'm off to to the airport to pick up Mahalo. This will be an awesome weekend! And I know your's will be, too. Please join me back here on Monday for another week of "frog-tastic" blogs. (At least I hope they are!) Until then, happy weekend, stay safe, and I wish you