1. Sisters can be good for your mental health. Sisters really can be a calming influence: A study at Brigham Young University found that siblings with sisters have better mental health.
2. Sisters help brothers snag dates. One study found that boys with older sisters grow up to be more liked by female acquaintances as adults. And hey, this bodes well for their dating life!
3. Sisters turn brothers into Republicans (what????) Sisters turn their brothers into Archie Bunkers! A study by the Journal of Politics found that the presence of sisters makes men more politically conservative. I wonder if this is true outside of the US?
4. Sisters turn brothers into slobs. The Journal of Politics study also found that brothers with sisters don't pitch in as much with housekeeping in their own family while growing up, or as adults for their wives if they marry ... and we hope that's a big if.
5. Sisters are trusted confidants of the heart. Need some relationship advice? Sisters make the best sounding boards. According to research by the University of Missouri-Columbia, sisters listened to their siblings vent and shared stories of their own dating travails far more so than brothers.
6. Sisters are less likely to bully you. Indeed, older siblings often pick on younger ones. But big sisters not so much: One Italian study of 195 children with siblings found that older sisters are less likely to bully their siblings than older brothers. But you knew that.
7. Sisters know when your BSing them.
8. When you can’t decide what to wear in the morning, you can send her pictures of each outfit and she’ll decide for you.
9. She was right by your side wearing every hideous matching outfit your parents forced on you as kids.
10. When you’re in trouble she’s the first one you call. And she comes running. And she gives the absolute best hugs!
11. You never have to explain your crazy family to her — she’s lived it.
12. She’s the one friend who you can be certain always truly has your best interests at heart.
13. She knows all your cringe-worthy secrets, like the fact that you had knock-knees as a kid.
14. No one knows your true self as she does. And when you start to veer away from it, she’s always there to steer you right back.
15. She’s a constant source of love, encouragement, and honesty.
If you're lucky enough to have a sister, honor her and spend some time with her this weekend. If you don't live close enough, give her a call. No email or test...a real phone call. And tell her just how special she is!
That does it for me this week. whatever your plans are for this weekend, I hope they're fun. Please stay safe and I invite you back here again on Monday for another week of interesting blogs on all kinds of stuff!