We can't change the past. It's done and over with. What we can do, is focus on the future. When you find yourself dwelling in the past, or worrying about the future, the best thing to do is to immerse yourself in here and now; take a walk, have coffee with a friend sign up for a class; do whatever it is that you truly enjoy.
The future isn't set in stone, predetermined by your past. Your future is yours to create. Think of it as a giant lump of clay waiting to be sculpted into something beautiful and wonderful. You and only can be the artist of your future.
Here are a few of my favorite tips for creating the future that you can look forward to:
1. Be kinder than you need to be. Kindness helps to wipe out some of the sadness in the world.
2. Give the gift of imagination. "A gift from the heart is seeing someone as they would wish to be. There's nothing more valuable than an active heart."
3. You'll never be the master of the universe so stop trying to control things. The only thing you can conrol is you. Be the master of that.
4. If you spend your time thinking about what you haven't got, you'll surely end up with more of the same. Like attract like. Think positively and you'll be rewarded.
5. Learn to be a better listener. Never underestimate the power of listening.
6. Don't look for external "things" to fill the void. True fulfillment comes from with in. Take time to to seek it out.
7. Don't burden yourself with regret, resentment, or of being unforgiven. They are too darn heavy to carry around and will do you no good in the long run.
8. Accept the gifts that life has to offer you. No matter how big or how small, every day we are given so much to be thankful for, even thought it may not seem it in this moment.
9. To be successful, you must first decide what you want. This is the direction you want your life to move in. If you can't decide on a lifetime purpose, start small by deciding what you want for the next year.
10. It's never too late. Make today the day that you value yourself, empower yourself, nurture yourself, love yourself, praise yourself, accept yourself....warts and all. If you don't, how you can expect anyone else to? How you feel about yourself is the compass that directs you to full, rich, successful life.
I find it comforting to know that each day, I get the opportunity to work towards becoming a better writer, a better friend, a better brother, a better son, and a better frog. Sometimes this old world can seem pretty dark and it needs all the light it can get. Each of us, in our own little way, is a candle. Remember, that as you learn to shine your own light, you also empower others to shine theirs,too!