Today is, among other things:
1. Cesar Chavez Day - This man is one of my heros. He's come to represent the underdogs, both in civil rights and the labor movement, and it's high-time he had a day to commemorate his birth and legacy. Thank's President Obama for recognizing this great leader!
2. Dance Marathon Day - How long can you two-step or boogie-woogie?
3. Effel Tower Day - Today marks the opening of the Eiffel Tower in 1889. This is one of my favorite places to visit and I'm happy to see that it has it's own day!
4. National Bunsen Burner Day - Yep, you guessed it. Today marks the birthday of its creator, Robert Wihelm von Bunsen.
5. National Clams on the Half Shell Day - Not much I can say here, except Bon Appetit!
6. National Crayola Crayon Day - For those of us who love to color...inside or ouside of the lines...this is a special day. There are now over 400 crayon Crayola shades. The original colors were first produced in 1903. The basic, or core, colors consist of 120 shades but the company has since added many others, including a few that are scented! So why not let your inner child out and buy a fresh box of crayons today. I'm sure you can find something wonderful to color! Coloring can be very relaxing , too. I have even seen coloring books for adults. These are used to help reduce stress and pass the time in a creative way. Pick one up for your next tedious airline trip.
7. National Farm Workers Day - It's not surprising that this day happens to fall on Cesar Chavez Day. This is the 17th National Farm Workers Day and it is the day set aside each year to honor their important contributions. I think that every time we eat, we need to recognize their hard, and often, thankless work. Way to go farmers!
8. National Tater Day - Today we celebrate the humble potato, both white and sweet. Potatoes are a big part of the human diet and have been known to keep starvation at bay during times of extreme drought. If you've seen the movie, The Martian, you'll understand how important this modest vegetable can be.
9. World Back-up Day - This is a day set aside for people, and us frogs, to learn about the increasing role that data plays in our daily lives and to remind us of the importance to back-up our computers on a regular basis. I need to do mine...I bet you do, too. Today's a great day to get 'er done!
So, if you were looking for a reason to have a party today, here are nine excellent things to commenorate. Whether you're into 'taters, crayons, bunsen burners, or just love the Eiffel Tower, today is your day. How will you celebrate?