Nonprofit organizations help a wide range of causes; everything helping endangered species, to bringing fresh water to African villages, to feeding the elderly, to advocating for children in foster care, and too many more to mention. If there's a worthy cause, there's probably a nonprofit out there that can help. To honor these nonprofits and their volunteers today, I thought we'd take a look at a few surprising facts about NPOs.
"What does your neighborhood association have in common with the multibillion-dollar Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation? Both are nonprofit organizations. And as such, they play an incredibly important role in our everyday lives. Nonprofits help millions of people [and animals] around the globe every day."
1. If the nonprofit sector were a country, it would be the 16th largest in the world, as measured by GDP (gross domestic product), according to The World Bank Group
2. In 2012, nonprofit groups employed just over 11 million people in the U.S. That’s more than 10% of private-sector employment.
3. An estimated 25% of all Americans over age 16 served as volunteers for a nonprofit between September 2010 and September 2014.
4. Individuals, foundations, and bequests contributed $358 billion to nonprofits in 2014.
5. In 2014, religious organizations received the largest share of charitable donations at 32%. Educational nonprofits were second with 15%. The third-largest share went to human service organizations.
The nonprofit sector has a tremendous economic and social impact, bringing programs that reflect our highest ideals to people at all levels of society. But to fulfill their missions, NGOs rely on volunteers like you and me to help carry out their important work. I hope you'll think about donating your time and services to helping a nonprofit that's close to your heart. And if you know someone who already volunteers, please thank them. They deserve to know how much they're appreciated.
With the weekend upon us is, wouldn't it be a time to call, email, or drop by an area nonprofit and see what you can do to help? But whatever your plans include, please stay safe and have some fun! it's what weekends are all about. Please stop by on Monday and see what I have in store for you this next week. Until then,