It's no coincidence that the first day of Spring and International Day of Happiness fall on the same day. The warmer temperatures, the spring flowers, the buds on the trees, birds singing and, of course, longer days, always brings a smile to my face. I bet it does to yours, too. Everything seems new and fresh...a rebirth for us all. Humans shed their their heavy winter clothing and nature abounds with new life.
Here are, I think, seven of the best reasons why we love Spring.
1. Spending more time outside. The weather is pleasant, the skies are blue, the birds sing, and spring flowers are everywhere. Who wouldn't want to be outside enjoying all this splendor? And it's free!
2. The days are longer. This gives us more daylight hours in the evening; it's nicer to come home from work and still have it light outside.
3. A new year, a new beginning. Did you know that March 25 used to be New Years Day? It did. It makes sense to me to have the new year start with the rebirth of Spring instead of the dark and cold of January. Maybe we should start a petition to get it changed back.
4. Flowers. I can't mention this enough. Spring flowers are bright and colorful. They make us happy just to see them. And who hasn't taken photos of their loved ones sitting in a field of wildflowers? What would this glorious season be like without the tulips, daffodils, and crocus...well, it just wouldn't be Spring, would it?
5. The feel of new grass between our toes. Not only does grass feel wonderful (it's nature's plush carpeting) but it also smells great. The grass always smells the sweetest this time of year. And for those critters who eat grass...cows, deer, sheep, goats, and more...well, Spring grass tastes better!
6. Picnics. Dining outside, this time of year is egg-stra special. Picnics are always fun, but when Spring arrives they become a feast for the eyes, as well as the tummy. Throwing out the checkered tablecloth and lunching on fresh fruits and vegetable, or delicious homemade sandwhiches is a treat that everybody can enjoy. Even your basic PB&J tastes better when it's enjoyed in the the warm sunshine, surrounded by the the beauty of nature. As a frog, I can tell you that the bugs and worms are jucier, fatter, and tastier than they are at any other time of year.
And I saved the best reason for last...
7. Love and kindness. I can't think of any other time of year, with the exception of the Christmas season, when everyone is nicer, more loving, and even kinder, than they are in Springtime. Spring brings out the best in everyone. We're happy to be alive and we let it show. It's glorious!
With Easter fast approaching, I hope you'll schedule some time over the next few days to get out and say "Hello" to Mother Nature. Welcome her back and don't forget to being your camera. Wonderful, memory-making photos are just just a click away.