1. Art makes us think. Looking at art makes us ponder what the artist might have been thinking. We think about how they created their piece. For me, I think about why it is that I like certain pieces of art, but not others. Art makes us think about all kinds of things.
2. Art takes us places. Art allows us to travel to places we might not otherwise ever visit. Art can take us back in time and ahead to a time that is yet to come. We can see the world as it was, as it is, as it will be...at least through the eyes of that artist. Art lets us look into the creative mind of another.
3. Art makes us feel something. Every time I look at art, I feel something; longing, empathy, anger, desire, disgust, connection and, a lot of time, just plain confusion. But I always feel something. Art speaks to each of us in different ways.
4. Art makes us look. I don't know about you, but it's impossible for me to walk past a piece of art and not look at it. Some pieces I will stare at for a long time; others warrant only a temporary glance. But I always have to look.
5. Art makes us realize that humans (and frogs) are fundamentally the same around the world and throughout all time. Humans, no matter where they live or when, all convey the same emotions, wants, needs, and desires. This is never more evident than in art. People from all different cultures are drawn to art because art speaks in a language that anyone can understand.
6. Art last longer than most things. Art is enduring, It's handed down from one generation to another. Art increases in value with age, usually, and there aren't many things we can say that about. We can enjoy looking at art that's thousands of years old as much as we can enjoy something that was created yesterday. I get deeply moved by looking at art that was created along time ago. I feel as if the artist is there with me. I can feel their presence. Their spirit lives on through their work. I love standing close to something that is so old. I become part of history.
7. Art feels so good to make. As a writer, I know what deep satisfaction I get when I write a book. There's nothing quite like the feeling of getting my creativity from inside my head and onto paper where others can, hopefully, enjoy what I've done. It's the same for any art form. Just ask a painter, sculptor, musician, or even a baker. Creating something gives us a feeling that nothing else can compare to.
8. Art says things that words can't. Art shows us things like how a sunset looked 300 years ago. They show us what pain and joy look like. Art shows us what love looks like and what the world did, or could, look like. Nothing expresses humaness more than art.
Art is valued and appreciated for all sort of reasons. Those pieces of art that move us to tears, or cause to feel spontaneous joy...those are the pieces that we remember for a lifetime. Art has the power to change us. Art inspires our heart.
So, how might you celebrate art tomorrow?
Visit an art gallery. Read a good book. Listen to music. Attend a ballet, opera, or play. Start your own masterpiece...or finish one you've already begun. Talk to a child about the importance of art and encourage their artistic endeavors. See a good movie and pay attention to all the special effects, camera shots, and direction that went into making it. Say thank you to an artist you know. And for you social media buffs, us #InspireYourHeartWithArtDay on all your social media postings tomorrow.